Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Couch-bound

I don't mean "couch-bound" like - that's where I'm headed - no... I mean I am bound to my couch more than ever these days.

I can see the trees shaking violently outside as the wind whirs and dances around them, sending a message that Winter is on its way.

Winter.

Such a cold word.

Such a painful word... for Lymies, especially.


We should all go live on an island together with a temperate climate of avg. 70F year round. I personally wouldn't mind it getting up to 90F every now and then with a nice breeze. Mmm, Summer. My favorite season of all. 

Summer is also wonderful for a Lymie, considering many who lack energy or the ability to exercise can at least get some energy from a light swim. :)

Otherwise, so many of us spend our days sitting and staring - mostly at a computer. Couch-bound.



I used to sit in that chair - for months - this Summer. I have since relocated to the couch. My house doesn't have central heat, so I rely on one baseboard heater in the living room and one in the bedroom. I'll put a little space heater in the bathroom prior to showering.

The cold air and the warm water = the most painful experience. Showering becomes less frequent and I become more miserable. I can barely talk myself into getting out of the bed because of the cold air while under the warm covers.

What does it feel like? you ask.

Hmm.... You know that feeling when you're standing in the snow without clothes on and you're soaking wet? Probably not, but imagine it anyway... Mix that with the feeling of your body going numb, tingling (like poor circulation or a limb being asleep) with each impact of every tiny little drop of water or cold air. It doesn't seem to matter what temperature the water is when the air is cool, it's going to be painful. It also doesn't seem to matter how much you layer your clothes, the uncomfortable attack of irregular temperature creates unimaginable pain. A cold face + warm body = irregular temperature = pain!

Surprisingly, nothing like this experience happens (or at least far from it) when the weather is warm or you're living in a house with regulated temperatures in every room. I dream of finding an affordable home with central heat.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend is the only person making an income between us while I can't work (he waits tables), so we really can't afford it.

So here I sit.. uncomfortable and exhausted.. each and every day. I keep wishing I could just strap on my roller skates and sail off into the abyss with a smile on my face and the wind in my hair... but I shake my head and bat my eyes and suddenly, I'm just here... sitting on the couch... starting a blog on blogger.com. :\

I'm going to use this blog to vent my thoughts and talk about life, and hopefully connect with other Lymies, while informing friends/family all about the many magical wonders (yeah, right!) of Lyme Disease.

Welcome to my crazy world. Enjoy. :)



.

5 comments:

  1. Hi KT! So glad to see you here! Thanks for the comment, I went and looked at that site but it seems that they don't carry any size larger than 10, and thats a problem, I wear 11 or 12. Really have 11.5 and 12 feet, but often just stuff them into 11. :/
    I had an idea to got to Kmart.com and look at what they have. About 5 years ago I bought a pair of boots there, they are leather and I am still wearing them. They are quite dead looking but I have nothing else in the mean time. And I saw that they have some of the furry eskimo looking boots there that you might like.


    I agree with you, most UGGs are ugly. But they look so comfortable, which is the only thing pulling me toward them. I don't want any heal as i can hardly walk the way it is, they have to be warm and something I can wear every day, everywhere. Argh...I don't make it complicated or anything?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I totally understand what you are talking in the post!! Last year until Christmas, I was living in an old trailer, and it was SO leaky! AND, my sister kept it comfortable for HER, not me. It is painful!! Thankfully, they built a new house and I have my own room and my own space heater. And it isn't leaky of course so its much more regulated.

    I really feel for you, its not fun! And then when you do shower its like getting an automatic chill to the bone....for hours, maybe days. ARGH. Yes, this silly Lyme does like to mess everything up.

    Keep your head up and I'll be praying that you can find something you can afford that will be more comfortable. Wouldn't it be great if we had a Spoonie's retreat/resort?!? Oh my.

    And now I'm likely moving to PA this winter, its going to be even colder there than here in Central Oregon. Oh well, got to do watcha gotta do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol!!! Tranny gear, never thought of it! Hmmm...going to have to do some looking. Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! And some other blogs to follow....go look at the ones I am following. Not all of them are Lymies, but the majority are. There are a couple "fun" (since when is hearing about other's horrid Lyme journeys fun?!?) or interesting ones over there. Sorry, I can't remember the names off hand.
    And this will hopefully be my last comment...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI KT

    Look at number 21 of Project Censored:

    http://www.projectcensored.org/

    There's very little coverage of Lyme disease and how inadequately it is covered.

    Take care. I'm really sorry for not staying in touch more often.

    -Praxicoide

    ReplyDelete